Formula 1
Portuguese Grand Prix lined up to replace China
Published
2 months agoon
By
Ody
F1 has now formally confirmed the race will not happen because of the issues around hosting the event like normal – mainly with full fan attendance and freedom for F1 personnel.
China was meant to be part of a record 24-race schedule and F1 still wants to keep that number if it can.
While there will not be a replacement race for the sake of it, F1 is actively considering an alternative.
“Formula 1 is assessing alternative options to replace the slot on the 2023 calendar and will provide an update on this in due course,” a statement said.
The Portuguese Grand Prix could be back on the calendar for 2023 with Portimao reportedly chosen as the replacement for the cancelled Chinese Grand Prix.
Formula 1 officially announced on Friday that the Chinese Grand Prix had been scrapped due to ongoing concerns with COVID restrictions in the country.
China has been observing strict measures to prevent the spread of COVID after a rise in infections in recent weeks. Shanghai, where the F1 race was due to be held, has been seeing an upward trend in cases as of December 1.
Visitors are also being forced to quarantine in a hotel upon entry into the country, which given the race was slated two weeks after the Australian Grand Prix and two weeks before the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, would have proved a logistical nightmare for the teams.
In a statement, F1 confirmed that plans were being worked on to fill the slot with a TBC on the sport’s official website suggesting they are not looking to remove the race weekend altogether.
“Formula 1 can confirm, following dialogue with the promoter and relevant authorities, that the 2023 Chinese Grand Prix will not take place due to the ongoing difficulties presented by the COVID-19 situation,” the statement read.
“Formula 1 is assessing alternative options to replace the slot on the 2023 calendar and will provide an update on this in due course.”
It appears that F1 has found a host with Portuguese motorsport commentator Joao Carlos Costa reporting that Portimao is the chosen venue.
“Portugal back on the F1 route. Decision imminent – Portimao should replace China on the 2023 calendar,” he said in a tweet on Thursday.
“Small details are still to be resolved before the FIA World Council, scheduled for December 9 in Bologna. Portuguese fans, what a Christmas present!”
The last time Portugal held a race was in 2021 with a previous 24-year absence until a return in 2020.
The 2020 edition, which was not originally on the season’s calendar but was added following the initial outbreak of COVID, featured again in 2021 with many countries still under strict lockdown rules.
It was not part of the 2022 season and was originally not going to feature in 2023, but that looks set to change.
If it is added, it will be welcome news for Lewis Hamilton who has so far won both of the Portimao races. Should he win there again in 2023, Hamilton will join Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell with the most victories of the Portuguese Grand Prix at three.
Portuguese Grand Prix lined up to replace China Portuguese Grand Prix lined up to replace China
Read Also : F1 2023 – China GP cancelled
Also make sure you follow us on social media Facebook, Twitter, Instagram for all the latest updates between issues.
You may like
-
FIA seeks up to 2 new F1 teams for 2025
-
Ford to reveal return to F1 with partnership for Red Bull engines
-
F1 – Mercedes and Russell-Hamilton test at Paul Ricard
-
F1 – McLaren appoints Schumacher as a reserve driver
-
F1 – Herbert “Skeptical” if Russell Defeats Hamilton in 2023
-
F1 Ferrari – Vasseur determined to battle fiercely with Wolff and Mercedes
2023 F1 Car Launches | |||
---|---|---|---|
Team | Car Name | Date | |
![]() | Haas | VF-23 | 31 January |
![]() | Red Bull | RB19 | 03 February |
![]() | Williams | FW45 | 06 February |
![]() | Alfa Romeo | C43 | 07 February |
![]() | AlphaTauri | AT04 | 11 February |
![]() | Aston Martin | AMR23 | 13 February |
![]() | McLaren | TBA | 13 February |
![]() | Ferrari | TBA | 14 February |
![]() | Alpine | A523 | 16 February |
![]() | Mercedes | W14 | 16 February |
TRENDING
-
Formula 13 days ago
F1 2023 – Alfa Romeo makes the first move with the reveal of their new design
-
Formula 11 day ago
F1 – McLaren appoints Schumacher as a reserve driver
-
Formula 16 hours ago
Ford to reveal return to F1 with partnership for Red Bull engines
-
Formula 14 weeks ago
First details of F1 2023 cars Ferrari and Red Bull’s RB19!
-
Formula 12 weeks ago
Ferrari’s 2023 F1 car may be faster by “at least one second”
-
Formula 14 weeks ago
Hamilton’s income for 2022 has been revealed