Connect with us

Formula 1

ALONSO HAS SURGERY ON FRACTURED JAW, AFTER HIS ACCIDENT

Published

on

ALONSO HAS SURGERY ON FRACTURED JAW AFTER HIS ACCIDENT

Fernando Alonso driver will stay 48 hours more in the hospital. The preparation for his season with Alpine should not be unduly impacted.

Alpine expect Fernando Alonso to be fit in time for the start of the 2021 F1 season following successful surgery on a fractured jaw. 

Double Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso has undergone a successful corrective operation on a fractured jaw and is expected to be fit in time for the 2021 season. 

Alonso was struck by a car near his Lugano home in Switzerland while out on a training ride on his bike and was taken to hospital, where he was kept under observation after medics discovered a fracture in his upper jaw. He underwent a successful operation and will remain under observation in the hospital for a further 48 hours. 

FERNANDO ALONSO SHOULD BE FIT FOR 2021 F1 SEASON

His Alpine team says they expect the Spaniard, who is returning to F1 this season after a two-year hiatus, to be able to resume training in a matter of days and anticipate that he will be fit for the start of the upcoming 2021 season, which begins in six weeks time. 

Advertisement

In the latest update on his condition on Friday morning, Alpine said: “Following his cycling accident yesterday Fernando Alonso was kept under observation in hospital in Switzerland. Medics discovered a fracture in his upper jaw and conducted a successful corrective operation. The attending medical team are satisfied with his progress.

“Fernando will remain under observation in hospital for a further 48 hours.

“Looking forward, after a few days of complete rest, he will be able to progressively resume training. We expect him be fully operational to undertake preparation for the season.

“Alpine F1 Team and Fernando thank you for your wishes and will issue further updates when appropriate.”

Pre-season testing is scheduled to take place in Bahrain from 12-14 March, before the first race is held in Sakhir two weeks later on 28 March.

Since leaving F1 at the end of 2018 after growing frustrated at McLaren’s uncompetitiveness, Alonso, who has won 32 grands prix and world titles in 2005 and 2006, has raced in IndyCar, the Dakar Rally, and taken wins in the Le Mans 24 Hours and the World Endurance Championship title with Toyota.

Advertisement

It was announced last summer that he would be making a shock comeback to F1 on a full-time basis, having agreed a two-year deal to return to the Enstone squad for a third stint as Esteban Ocon’s new teammate.

Alonso has undertaken an extensive testing programme in a bid to try and get up to speed for his return to the grid. Last year he carried out a number of runs in a 2018-spec Renault car, as well as two outings in the 2020 R.S.20.

ALONSO HAS SURGERY ON FRACTURED JAW, AFTER HIS ACCIDENT ALONSO HAS SURGERY ON FRACTURED JAW, AFTER HIS ACCIDENT

ALONSO WAS HIT BY A CAR WHILE RIDING HIS BIKE IN SWITZERLAND

Also make sure you follow us on social media FacebookTwitterInstagram  for all the latest updates between issues.

Advertisement