Sebastian Vettel could still be in Formula 1 next season. The quadruple world champion is currently in talks with Racing Point, who will bear the name of Aston Martin in 2021. The man does not confirm but does not deny completely.
Sebastian Vettel should push a sigh of relief, he has probably just found a paddock for next season.
Sebastian Vettel says he is holding “loose talks” about his Formula 1 future but avoided directly addressing his rumoured Racing Point contract offer, as those involved engaged in a cagey Hungarian Grand Prix Thursday.
Outgoing Ferrari driver Vettel made a determined effort to avoid getting caught out by repeated questions about a potential move to Racing Point, which will become the Aston Martin works F1 team in 2021.
When asked if the rumour in Germany that he had received a contract offer was true, Vettel replied: “Rumours are called rumours for a reason.
“Anyway, I think now only a couple of days after Austria there is not much that has changed.
“Given you mentioned that I was talking at length, there’s no point for me to expand on this.
“But the fact is that there’s no news.”
Vettel suggested he has held initial conversations with Racing Point, though, even if he would not say it has gone as far as knowing there is a definite seat available for him.
“Well at this stage I think it’s talks,” said Vettel. “I said last week that obviously I’ve been in talks with Renault for example, so I think it’s all sort of just talks.
“At a later stage with anyone I think then it would get a bit more concrete but at this stage the truth is there’s nothing to announce and nothing more concrete than just loose talks.”
He went on to say that “nothing has changed within a week”, having provided a detailed update on his options in Austria last weekend.
“I said last time that it will probably take some time most importantly for myself to make the right decision,” Vettel added.
“Once there is something to announce or something to say, then I think there will be the right time in the future to do so.
“But anything at this stage is still open, driving next year, not driving next year and maybe coming back, or not driving anymore and, I don’t know, doing something different.
MORE NEWS : WHAT OPTIONS DOES PEREZ HAVE?
“So I’m not pressured or feeling pressure to make my decision too quickly.”
Vettel was quizzed shortly after Racing Point drivers Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll faced their own line of questioning about the possibility of the four-time world champion ousting one of them from their respective “long-term deals”.
So what did those guarded exchanges tell us about a rumour that will not go away?
VETTEL : RUMOURS ARE CALLED RUMOURS FOR A REASON VETTEL : RUMOURS ARE CALLED RUMOURS FOR A REASON VETTEL : RUMOURS ARE CALLED RUMOURS FOR A REASON
PEREZ : I’M NOT GOING TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS
LECLERC : THIS SEASON I CHANGED MY APPROACH TO WORK
HAMILTON UNHAPPY WITH PETROV’S CHOICE AS FIA STEWARD : WHY IS HE HERE?
VETTEL : I’LL TRY TO CLOSE THE FERRARI CHAPTER WITH DIGNITY
MAGNUSSEN OPEN FOR INDYCAR BUT HE BELIEVES IS A DIFFICULT
RUSSELL, AMID PEREZ RUMOURS : I’LL BE ON THE GRID NEXT YEAR WITH WILLIAMS
F1 2020 NEXT RACE
|Portugal ||25 Oct|
|10h00 - 11h30||Free practice 1|
|14h00 - 15h30||Free practice 2|
|11h00 - 12h00||Free practice 3|
|14h00 - 15h00||Qualification|
|14h10 - 16h10||Race|